Mercy’s presence on the shores of Biscayne Bay is evidence of a commitment that began in the 1940′s. As Miami’s population grew during and after World War II, there was a pressing need for additional hospital beds in the metropolitan area. The Diocese of St. Augustine, then the diocese for all of Florida, answered the call. The church acquired a large parcel of swampy land south of the Villa Vizcaya and began a fundraising effort that received tremendous support from all of Miami’s residents. Collections were taken door-to-door, in movie theaters and even public schools. Construction began in 1946 and four years later Mercy Hospital opened its doors on December 18, 1950, with 125 much-needed beds. The hospital staff was provided by the Sisters of St. Joseph of St. Augustine, who assumed sponsorship of Mercy from the Diocese in 1966.
Mercy to day is 488 bed hospital who has received the Magnet recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Centers, has been designated as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and whose hyperbaric and wound-care center has been designated as the Divers Alert Network (DAN) regional coordinator for Florida and the Caribbean.
3663 S Miami Ave
Miami, FL 33133