"The Best Way To Find Yourself Is To Lose Yourself in the Service of Others."
A volunteer application packet must be completed and returned to:
Mercy Hospital, Volunteer Services
3663 S Miami Ave
Miami, FL 33133
Volunteer Services is open Monday through Friday from 9:30am to 6:00pm. For more information on volunteering at Mercy Hospital and to request the application packet, please call (305) 285-2773.
At Mercy Hospital, we rely heavily on the generous support of our extraordinary volunteers. Volunteering is a rewarding and uplifting experience that affords you the opportunity to truly make a difference in your community.
As a Mercy volunteer, you will have numerous opportunities to touch the lives and hearts of thousands. Our volunteers serve our patients, family and staff with great kindness and compassion.
There are several different types of volunteer opportunities available throughout the hospital:
- Assisting the staff with a wide variety of non-clinical tasks in patient care areas.
- Administrative duties — including answering telephones, data entry, filing, etc.
- Welcoming and directing, or escorting, visitors and vendors around campus.
Your skills and talents, along with the needs of our patients and staff at the time of your enrollment, will be taken into account to match you with the most appropriate area. We will assert our best attempts to present a placement in your area of interest; however, these requests cannot be guaranteed.
- Applicant must be at least 16 years of age when applying. Signed parental permission is required
- All volunteers must commit to a minimum requirement of 100 hours of service per year and a minimum of three hours, once a week. However, there is no limit to the number of hours a volunteer chooses to serve.
- A confirmation letter, containing the total number of completed hours, will only be awarded after the volunteer's 100-hour commitment has been met. Please allow six (6) working days to process requests for verification of service hours.
- Complete an Application
- Copy of photo Identification
- Volunteer Agreement
- Two Reference Forms
- Volunteer Health Clearance (Completed by your physician)
- Background check (Over 18 years) - (Completed by the hospital)
- Vaccination records (Under 18 years)
- Call (305) 285-2773 to make an appointment for an interview.
- The purpose of the interview is to gather information regarding the volunteer's availability, interests, and skills in order to ensure proper placement within the hospital's departments.
- TB/PPD screening
- Flu Vaccination (During flu season Nov 1 - Mar 31)
- Once the application process is completed, the volunteer will be scheduled for orientation.
- Orientation dates are assigned monthly.
- Orientation can take up to 2-3 hours
- Code of Conduct (1 hour)
- Volunteer Department Orientation/Activation (30 minutes)
- Uniform provided
- Volunteer Handbook
- ID Badge assignment
- Introduction to assigned Department/Unit (15-30 minutes)
At Mercy Hospital, we take pride in ensuring the highest quality and safety of our patients as well as our volunteers. Both tests above (TB/PPD and Flu vaccination) may be done at Mercy at no cost to you, by calling Employee Health to schedule an appointment at (305) 285-2659, Room 1325.
- Free Parking
- Meal Tickets (up to $6.00 to be used in the hospital cafeteria)
- Free Flu Shot
- Free Tuberculosis Screening
- Recognition Luncheon(s)
- Hour Pins, Confirmation letter and list of hours completed
- Uniforms provided free of charge
- Volunteer Referral Program — refer a prospective volunteer and receive a voucher once person has applied and begun volunteering (may vary from meal voucher to movie tickets etc.).
- Access to Mercy's Credit Union (Jetstream Federal Credit Union)
"Mercy's Angels" are special volunteers who have dedicated 5 or more years of service to Mercy Hospital. We thank them for their unwavering support and commitment throughout the years.
|Sara Francisco||1991-2017||26 years|
|Ruth Spoont||1999-2017||18 years|
|Mercedes Moas||1999-2017||18 years|
|Edith Haines||1999-2017||18 years|
|Nelida Pardo||1999-2017||18 years|
|Marcos Puglielli||1999-2017||18 years|
|Sonia Alcazar||2001-2017||16 years|
|Elia De Torres||2004-2017||13 years|
|Stacey Askowitz||2004-2016||12 years|
|Viviana Arrington||2010-2017||7 years|
|Aida Bosque||2011-2017||6 years|
Thank you to all of our Mercy Volunteers!
About Mercy's Angels
Ruth Spoont - Mail Services
Prior to becoming a Mercy volunteer, Ruth was a Mercy employee since the 1970's. She began at Mercy in the Microfilming Department where she was responsible for Medical Records among other things. Of course, the need for microfilming was eliminated when technology brought us computers and the internet. She eventually took charge in the Mailroom, where she continues to volunteer. We would be lost without her dedication and support in this department which she practically runs singlehandedly.
Stacey Askowitz - Pastoral Care
Stacey has volunteered at Mercy since 2004, where she became an integral and highly beloved Pastoral Care volunteer. She has recently gained employment, which unfortunately requires her to leave her volunteer position here at Mercy Hospital. She will be wholeheartedly missed and we wish her the best in her future endeavors.